Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Where will the pigeons stay?

I love livings beings. But pigeons are one messy breed to handle. I am saying this after countless pigeon hatching sessions. No, I was not hatching their eggs, I was just letting them hatch their eggs in peace - in my balcony, on the bathroom ledge and the bedroom window which they claimed by placing an egg. For the uninitiated, pigeon hatching is a long drawn process in which you desist from touching the place a pigeon has claimed. Since the pigeons will not hatch an egg if they sense you have tampered with it. So you have to let it be - filth and all. Once the pigeon egg hatches, the baby takes a while to learn to fly. Again you have to let the place be. In one case a pigeon was so happy living on my window ledge that it made a very long stay and I finally had to shoo it away.

Alright, so the above background establishes that I am a good person, pro-pigeon, non-territorial and in general worth knowing. The only thing I hate is when any living thing messes with my plants. I don't have a huge garden just a few plants in the balcony, but I am extremely attached to them and am very particular about their well being. I actually get worried when one of them goes through a less than healthy growth phase and the death of a plant is very devastating for me. This does not make me nutty - just pro-plant.

So lately the pigeons have taken to my plants with a vengeance. Pick, destroy, randomly uproot. Of course, they are 'just birds' who know no better, when we have humans 'the one with brains' doing the same. So being pro-birds, I was not in favor of putting nets to ward off pigeons.

But today they set me on the war-path after they uprooted my lovingly and carefully grown herbs. I decided I was totally done with them and declared my intentions to my son.

Son promptly declared,"Its all your fault." While I was muddling over this. He tells me "The likes of you have cut trees and taken away all spaces the pigeons can live in. So before taking away your balcony also, please find an alternative space for the birds."

Profound and shows someone is doing a good job with him. As for me, I will steel myself and let the pigeons be for now.  I think Ill put my 'wise' son on devising some kind of training to make the pigeons a little more sensitive to my plants.

While I have given up on human beings, my feeling is the pigeons might somehow be more amenable.





        

3 comments:

  1. Hi Priya, Nice piece. My kitchen balcony too has pigeons nesting in it. Alas, i too have accepted their presence. pratap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pratap! Been the longest time since I spoke to you and I was thinking of mailing you for so long and here you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice write up priya. I enjoyed reading. ����

    ReplyDelete